Keeping Your Child Safe Online
The internet has changed all our lives, particularly our children's. For parents, this opens up a whole new world of things to be aware of. Below are a few simple tips to make sure your child stays safe online.
- Put yourself in charge. Install parent controls
- Explore together. Be part of their online life. Ask them to tell you what sites they like.
- Put the internet connected device in a communal area, so that you can share their enjoyment.
- Use passwords. Then you will know when your child is accessing the internet.
- Agree boundaries and rules. Be clear about what they can and can't do online. Monitor and control how much time they spend online.
- Help them learn. You can choose safe, fun and educational sites that you will be confident about them exploring
- Check the age ratings on games, apps, films etc. Make sure they are suitable for your child.
- Educate yourself by reading up on technologies such as mobile phones, tablets etc.
Start to introduce the subject of internet safety as soon as your child starts to use any internet-connected device. You and your child can then enjoy the internet safely together.
Useful Websites for Parents
Kirklees Council Guidance
UK Safer Internet Centre
West Yorkshire Police
Think U Know?
National Online Safety
Internet Watch Foundation
Protect Young Eyes